In this issue:
- Paving now scheduled to begin early next week
- New Traffic Control Measures
- Construction Underway and Upcoming
- Reminders: Forestview Creek Path and Piner High School bus stop
Installation of RCC on Fulton Road has been delayed due to equipment and technical issues and is now anticipated to begin early next week and last for approximately 10-12 weeks (note: timing is subject to change depending on weather, technical issues, and other unforeseen circumstances). Once the schedule and specific location of paving phases are confirmed, we will make every effort to update residents and organizations in the area that will be impacted as soon as possible.
New Traffic Control Measures
In preparation for the installation of roller-compacted concrete (RCC), construction crews have begun grinding down and removing the existing road surface in the southbound lane of Fulton Road, just south of the Piner Road intersection, and the northbound lane between Wishing Well and Piner High School. In areas where the road surface has been removed steel plates will be used to allow access to driveways. As a result, traffic has been shifted into the center lanes while this work is being completed. Please use extra caution while traveling through the area.
Flaggers will be located at the Piner High School access driveways to direct traffic when installation is occurring in front of the school. Please plan ahead and follow all traffic control measures when traveling through the area during work hours.
RCC paving provides a more durable, lower-maintenance, and much longer-lasting pavement surface. However, it takes longer to cure than asphalt, requiring additional temporary traffic control measures. Temporary steel plates can be used for vehicular access where applicable. Once that work gets underway, traffic controls will include:
- Lane closures on Fulton Road
- Temporary intersection closures at cross streets along Fulton Road
- Periodic limited access to some driveways
- Temporary relocation of the northbound bus stop at Piner High School (the southbound bus stop will remain at its current temporary location near Jenes Lane)
The schedule and specific traffic controls for this work are still under development – more information will be provided as it is confirmed. Be sure to visit www.FultonRoadProject.com for up-to-date information.
Construction Underway and Upcoming
When traveling in and near the construction areas, use additional caution and be aware of work crews, flaggers, traffic control, rough roadways, special signage, and heavy equipment. Please be prepared for temporary traffic control measures throughout the work area. Upcoming construction work will include continuation of:
- Installation of new streetlight posts and traffic signals, and other electrical work.
- Asphalt grinding in preparation for repaving.
- Construction of new driveways at several locations.
- Preparation of the subgrade, and forming and pouring new curbs, gutters, and sidewalks at various locations.
- Installation of “low-impact development” environmental features such as bioswales (linear, vegetated ditches accommodating the collection, conveyance, filtration, and infiltration of stormwater) in various locations.
- Begin construction of the medians in the roadway
All schedules are subject to change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
- As of August 2022, the Forestview Creek path is closed 24/7 from Fulton Road to Country Manor Drive, for the construction of a retaining wall and other concrete work near the creek.
State environmental regulations limit the seasonal periods during which work near the creek is permitted, for the protection of the creek and habitat. Based on those regulations, work is currently not allowed at the creek; however, the path remains closed for public safety due to existing excavation and materials. Work will resume when the seasonal “window” reopens, in late spring of 2023. Path users may want to consider using the Peterson Creek path between Guerneville Road and Fulton Road.
- Piner High School bus stop – The northbound temporary bus stop has been relocated back to the original bus stop location, just south of the main Piner High School entrance. There will be another temporary relocation of the bus stop during the repaving process – the location will be specified before that work gets underway. For general bus service information please visit Santa Rosa CityBus. The southbound bus stop will remain at its current temporary location near Jenes Lane while the repaving process is underway.
Project overview and schedule
This project will widen, reconstruct, and rehabilitate one mile of Fulton Road between Guerneville Road and Piner Road, transforming it into an updated, four-lane regional/arterial street, as well as provide many other improvements. The project is expected to continue for approximately 18 – 24 months (all schedules are subject to change depending on weather, unanticipated circumstances, and seasonal access restrictions to creek areas).
Work hours: 7 am to 7 pm Monday through Friday. With City approval, periodic work on nights (8:30 pm to 5:00 am) or weekends may take place.
Additional project overview and overall schedule information is online at www.FultonRoadProject.com.